Saturday, April 12, 2008

Carbon Mirror Housings

I've been hobbling gingerly around the garage today working on my carbon mirror housings. As promised, I now have pictures.


First, the workspace. I still need to organize the junk in here and get it out of the way. The pictures were taken while standing in my wife's parking spot, so my acutal work area is much smaller. Miss Thing (her MINI) does not take kindly to sleeping outside, so expansion is not an option.


Even more junk. Actually, 90% of my workspace is currently occupied with junk. Sigh. This will all need to be moved before the Se7en project arrives in the next week or so.



Okay, enough of that. Here's the floral foam. This came in pack of two cylinders (to fit a small vase), and I cut them down the middle. Two halves became a side mirror each, and the other two halves were joined and reshaped a bit to form the rearview mirror housing.





















*skipped a bunch of shots since my fingers were too messy to hold the camera*


Here is the first housing, set up to dry. I had to "clamp" it between two plastic containers because the carbon fiber doesn't reallylike to conform to tight curves. I figured out a smarter way to do the next two. The trick for them was to let the epoxy set up for a while and get really tacky. Then the carbon cloth can be conformed to the plug and it will (mostly) stick where you want it to.























"Honey, the eclairs are almost ready"

























The leftmost side mirror housing is closest to being done. This is its final flood coat. The other two are on their first flood coat. They're not perfect, but they were cheap, they're very light, and they look pretty cool.


This is the mirror material they will be receiving:











Cut to fit stuff from the auto parts store. Should be enough to do all three mirrors, but if not I'll go back and get another sheet.

No comments: